Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sassy Sienna

This past weekend, my roommates and I traveled to Sienna by train. We left Saturday morning at 10am, and we got to Sienna around 4pm. If we had a car to drive, it would have taken around 2 hours. But by train, it's a different story. First of all, once I'm on the train, looking out the window, being lulled to sleep by the train's rhythem, I am happy. But the stress of finding the right train at the right time at the right platform is another story. We had to switch trains twice, which is more difficult than you might think. After a few hour layovers in train stations and many caffe machiatos, we finally arrived in Sienna. Beautiful city! We stayed at a really nice bed and breakfast for 25 euros each (breakfast Sunday morning included...made by Nonna herself!) that was located literally one minute from Il Campo, the famous piazza in the center of Sienna. We went to the big museum in Il Campo, saw tons of medival art, and even some modern art in the downstairs exhibit (its was free). We did some shopping, too---Italians love their clothing stores. We had dinner at one of the restaurants in Il Campo, which was sort of pricey and the food was just OK. My new rule is that nice looking places may not have the best food. So far, the best food I've had in Italy have been in the hole-in-the-wall places. Like last night, my friend literally took me and some others through allyway after allyway to this hidden pizza restaurant that was the best pizza I've had in Italy yet. I'll be going back. Anyways, Sienna. Gelato was eaten, the huge duomo was seen Sunday morning, pizza was ordered, a train was caught. And when we finally got back to Perugia Sunday around 8pm, it was a great feeling. I truly felt like I was home, and I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment