Last night, the gravity of my time here finally hit me. My creative writing class had our end of year reading at a local bar. The whole evening was an accumulation of laughter, tears, and sangria. Many of my classmates wrote some of the most beautiful tributes to Perugia. They were personal, yet completely resonated with everyone there, probably because each of has slowly fallen in love with the stone city. Some (like the piece I read) are little more satirical than sentimental, but everyone in attendance agreed that it was a fabulous night full of fabulous writing. I have talented friends.
I took my friend Jonathon who was visiting me this past week to the bus station this morning to catch the bus to Rome. It is a beautiful Spring day. Clear, crisp, and yellow. I took the long way back to the center of town, through parks and up a lot of stairs. Never again will I be this unfettered; never again will I be living so simply; never again will I feel this guiltless about indulging in pleasure. As the last week here arrives, I am slowly starting to realize just how much my time here has changed me, grown me, and been patient with me; allowing me to slow down and live. More on this later.....
Very glad I had the chance to experience a few days of your life with you. It is clear that this semester will leave a special mark on you. Keep living it up your last week there, as I plan to do the same!
ReplyDelete